Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Shadowhunters! Episode 1 Rant

So I plan to do this after every episode of Shadowhunters. I love this series so much and I want them to do it right. So I'm going to kind of recap/review every single episode. I will be posting them every Wednesday. So be sure to check it out and join me, come discuss your thoughts, what you liked, what you didn't. I do want to warn you all though, there will be spoilers. So be careful if you've not watched the first episode yet.





I want to start off by saying that my thoughts aren't the most popular. I was checking Twitter out last night and most people loved the first episode. They were so excited and couldn't wait for more. But I didn't... it had a few okay moments that I liked but to me.... I just don't understand how hard it is to take an AMAZING book series and make it come to life? I mean, the movie was better than the first episode and the movie was kind of awful. Am I along in my thoughts about this show? I've not seen the second episode yet, I know you can watch it now on the Free Form app and I'll watch it sometime today. I'm willing to give this show a few more episodes and if it doesn't get better... I'll give up hope about ever seeing this book series done right.



This episode was called 'The Mortal Cup.' They changed Clary's age but that I'm fine with. She's also trying to get into the Brooklyn Academy of Art. Which is also a perfect idea. What I don't like is how in the first few minutes we see her use her gift. They leave nothing out.


I have a love hate relationship with how they made Luke a police officer. It's actually really cool and he seems like a total badass. I love the guy playing Luke, well done! But also... he had a bookstore! Why would they change that?!

Something that really bothers me is the Steele...... her mother would never have given her that. I mean, I hate that the writers did that. Bad move! Awful! Just ugh! Not to mention her freaking mother shows her the rune! Yeah because her mother would so do that. Makes perfect sense for her character. Not. I do like that she actually got to kick some ass though. I was happy with that. Though setting her room on fire?

 Magnus owns the club that everything goes down in. Which doesn't really bother me at all. I could see him owning a club. Yeah. Also, what I've started to call them and even my little sister agrees, The Lightsaber Swords? Really? I mean really?

Then there the Institute! Don't even get me started there!

Sadly, I kind of knew this would happen... when the announced who was going to play Jace. Have any of you seen the horrible movie called Vampire Academy? Yeah, he played in there. So I think he's an awful Jace. Clary seems too.... okay I should stop, let me go with the very few things I actually liked so this just doesn't look like a total rip fest.


Valentine. I've seen Alan van Sprang in Reign and just loved him! He's a perfect Valentine! Just yes!!!! That was a perfect choice! Plus, I've missed seeing him since he left Reign. Also, like I said before, the man playing Luke is awesome! More how I see Luke in my head, such a strong badass and yes! Great choice there too.

I like the girl playing Izzy but I don't like how underused she was. In the first part they kind of made her seem like... well....  to be frank, a skanky ditz, which I hate because Izzy is such a freaking awesome badass and I think this actress has the skills to really bring Izzy to life. So there I blame terrible writing.

So my main problems are, Jace, Clary, the Institute, and The Lightsaber Swords. I will continue to give this show another chance because, who knows? Maybe the rest will be good and the first episode was just utter crap. Also, who is Dot?


I shall now leave you with my favorite line from the night.
"Is there a meth problem we need to talk about?"
This made me laugh my butt off! I swear Simon and his jokes about meth in this episode just made all the awful stuff better.

23 comments:

  1. You're not alone! While I think some things I didn't like are different from yours, I wasn't sure what to think of this episode. I don't mind a few changes from the book, but a few things did bother me. I'm going to watch the second episode soon as well as see. I'm really just going to try and see it as separate from the books because the stuff with Clary's mom really irritated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the second episode was better. Still not what I'd hoped for but better.
      Yes! Clary's mum! Ugh!

      Delete
  2. I've seen some mixed reviews about this, I'm kinda nervous to check it out!
    I hated the trailer for the TV show, it was so cheesy and cringe-worthy so I don't know what to do. Also I DO NOT like the girl playing Clary, everything down to her voice is just annoying and plain wrong!
    This is such a great idea reviewing the episodes as they go along, I can't wait to see what you think of the second episode :)

    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sadly I also didn't have high hopes for this show and it still made me sad. Though I've seen the second episode on the app and I do think it's better.
      Yeah the actress for Clary is awful. I liked Lily Collins better.

      Delete
  3. After the attrocity that was the movie, I'm not going anywhere near this! I loved the book series, but this is just everything I fear about some of my favourites making the transition from page to screen and I don't hold out much hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't blame you! I should've stayed away...

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see that someone didn't enjoy something XD I'd been seeing positively raving reviews everywhere today from people who loved the pilot and I simply don't understand why! There may still be hope for the show to be a good adaptation (I'll be watching to see) but I won't hold my breath.
    Many of my problems were the same as yours - the weird Institute, the light-saber swords, the steele, Jace (the acting, the voice, the look, the personality...) and the portrayal of Izzy. But I did think Valentine & Simon were great <3
    Anyways, let's hope the next episode is more of a success. Either way I look forward to hearing what you think
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valentine, Luke and Simon were actually pretty good. I liked them.
      I loved your review as well! Hope you do more :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah I have to agree with you a lot of things were different and I did have a couple problems with the actors too. & Personally the show dissapointed me a little bit, I was expecting epic fight scenes with the seraph blades. Don't get me wrong they were pretty good but not what I imagined.. I mean the seraph blades are like light sabers, and for some reason the show gives off a sort of like Disney vibe. I don't know it seemed like a PG13 kind of show. Like I know its a Ya book series and that is to be expected but I kinda wanted the show to be a bit more mature. Thiis is just my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be more mature too! I was assuming that was why they made everyone older. But it does give off a very Disney feel and the fights! I agree! I thought they would be more badass but they just lacked luster.

      Delete
  6. I really liked reading all your thoughts so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on every episode! I feel like I really enjoyed the episode only because I don't remember much about the book... I read it like three years ago. I think it's time for a reread.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the show is a lot different from the books. I think someone who's never read the books would enjoy it more.

      Delete
  7. I haven't even read the books (yet I watch the episode, I'm sorry), but that really seems like a LOT of unnecessary changes... I thought the episode was meh. I didn't like Jace either! And I don't know if this is how the books are, but many of the lines seemed incredibly cliché. I'm hoping that's going to go away. I really hope this was one of those sucky introduction episodes and it's only going to get better... If not, I'm not sure I can continue this show. I'm going to have to read the books soon though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't got to be sorry. I've heard many people who seen the episode and never read the book. The books are great! I even got my sister reading them. So I completely recommend them!
      I hope you're right, I've seen the second episode and it's better than the first to me. I still just don't like Jace though... that won't change.

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen the first episode yet, as I'm kind of waiting for the hype to settle down. I've heard both good and bad things about it, so I'm not quite in any rush to watch it immediately as of now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you! I'd take my time, maybe after a few episodes in the show will get really good.

      Delete
  9. I can't say I didn't enjoy the first episode, just because I was too caught up in my own excitement to notice those little details you pointed out. I will say, though, I had many of the same issues you did regarding the acting. Clary and Jace's characters were so dramatic and a lot more emotional than they were in the books, and everyone keeps spitting out all the cliche lines we know all too well in tv shows. I think it still has potential, though. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second episode to me is better. Still not what I wanted but better. So I hope each episode keeps going up. I'd be happy with that!
      Yeah, I just don't like the actress or actor playing the main leads... so many other choices out there. I don't fully understand the casting choices.

      Delete
  10. I think Jace had some incredibly cheesy lines, and he delivered them terribly, I have to agree with you about that. But on the whole, considering I had low expectations to begin with the series anyway, I quite enjoyed it! It made my little fangirl heart so happy to see my characters spring to life like that. The second ep is way better, and I can't wait to see your review on it! Here's mine:

    http://lessrealitymorebooks.blogspot.ie/2016/01/lets-talk-shadowhunters-tv-show-review.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The second episode was much better!
      Yes the writing on the first episode wasn't that great... I had low expectations ever since I saw who was playing Jace so.... yeah lol

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was really looking forward to watching this but what a letdown! I agree with you on a lot of the things you didn't like, but for me the worst part of the 1st ep was how the storytelling was just fricking awful. It went from scene to scene at lightning speed without ever dwelling enough to make you care or even like any of the characters. There was no build to it, no character development. It was like 3 episodes worth of material crammed into 1 and it just felt like they got a special effects guy and let him write and direct, because it looked slick enough but there was just no substance to it. Also the fricking stele's looked plastic, like aomething out of power rangers, and do not get me started on the lightsaber swords....just no!

    ReplyDelete